WORD & LIFE PUBLICATIONS
PUBLISHER’S PROFILE AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Word & Life Publications (WLP) was established in1989 (National Bible Year) by Fr. Salvatore Putzu, SDB with the cooperation of four volunteers. Its main aim was to help the Filipino people, and specially the youth, know God’s Word better and put it into practice.
The name WORD & LIFE dynamically synthesizes this objective, while the logo (the book of the Bible right in the center of the Philippines) visualizes the role of God’s Word in the life of the Filipino people.
Word & Life Publications is an apostolic activity of the Salesian Society of St. John Bosco in the Philippines.
Its field of action is the Ministry of the Word, particularly Evangelization and Catechesis, both formal and informal.
This apostolate is carried out through all the means of Social Communication, especially print media, in response to the needs of the local Church, in coordination with the national and local hierarchy, and with the cooperation of committed Catholic individuals and organizations.
Its publications are characterized by their being rooted in the word of God, and Christ-centered; their faithfulness to the teaching of the Church; and their special emphasis on Philippine culture, values and situations, as well as the condition, needs, and aspirations of the young.
The specific mission of Word & Life Publications is the preparation, publication, and dissemination of periodicals, books and audio-visuals and any other formation program that can be reproduced or broadcast through the various means of social communication which are and will be made available by information technology.
These programs will be used for the Christian formation of the people of God in general, and especially of the youth, in faithfulness to the original charism of the Salesian Society of St. John Bosco.
The aim of Word & Life Publications is to help its readers / viewers:
- Know their faith better,
- Defend it when attacked, and
- Make it the inspiration and guiding force in their daily commitments and prayer life.
Spreading God’s Word
Its mother publication is the periodical WORD & LIFE (WL). In addition to this magazine, which is now in its 25th year of existence, WLP is currently publishing the following periodicals: Exploring God’s Word (EGW), Ang Bagong Salita at Buhay, EGW-Teacher’s Notes, WL-Teacher’s Guide, The Word of God, Ang Salita ng Diyos, The Messenger of Divine Love, Pambatang Katekesis, Euchalette, and Patnubay sa Misa.
All these periodicals, except The Messenger of Divine Love, focus on the Word of God as used in the Sunday liturgical celebrations. They are intended to enable all Catholic faithful, and especially Catholic young people, Catechists, Lectors, Commentators, Lay Ministers of the Eucharist, members of BECs and parish-mandated organizations, to get a good working knowledge of the Biblical readings and themes of every Sunday and all major feast days.
Recently, in a concerted effort to increase the availability of Sacred Scripture in the Philippines, WLP has co-published with other Catholic Publishers the complete Bible in English, Tagalog and Cebuano.
Publishing At the Service of Catechesis
WLP has also been serving the catechetical ministry in the Philippines through the publication of several catechism, such as the Catechism of the Catholic Church and its Compendium; the Catechism for Filipino Catholics, and its Tagalog version: Katesismo para sa mga Pilipinong Katoliko (both in complete and abridged versions); and the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church. It has also published numerous encyclicals and apostolic exhortations, such as: Evangelium Vitae, Dies Domini, Deus Caritas Est, Sacramentum Caritatis, Spe Salvi, Caritas in Veritate, Verbum Domini, Lumen Fidei and the most recent Evangelii Gaudium. It has enriched these documents of the Magisterium with Subject Indexes and other precious Study Aids.
Nurturing Faith and Devotion
WLP has also greatly contributed to the renewal of popular devotions in the Philippines by publishing a New Way of the Cross, The Trail of Light, and a maze of pamphlets on the Rosary, the Eucharist and the Holy Shroud. All those have been made available in posters, pamphlets, leaflets, stampitas, and DVDs. WLP also published in comics the lives of various saints such as: Pedro Calungsod, Don Bosco, and Damien of Molokai.
In addition to these materials, WLP, in cooperation with Word Media Ministry (WMM) and other institutions, has organized exhibits on the Holy Rosary in Glorietta (2003) and on the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Glorietta and the Philippine National Bank head office in Manila (2004).
Reaching Out to the “Forgotten Ones”
Since Easter 1992, WLP has been engaged in an outreach activity called “God’s Word to the Lonely.” Every two months, more than 600 copies of its periodicals (specifically Word & Life magazine, Ang Bagong Salita at Buhay, and The Messenger of Divine Love) are given – free of charge – to the chaplains of Metro Manila hospitals and more than a dozen prisons nationwide. Because of this, the sick and the prisoners are given hope and inspiration as they read God’s Word, and are also empowered to spread the Good News in their respective environments using these materials from WLP.
Conquering the Airwaves for the Lord
In cooperation with WMM, WLP has also been airing on Radio Veritas (846 kHz) a weekly program entitled “Bisperas sa Veritas,” since 2004. The program is broadcast live every Saturday from 5:00 to 6:00 PM with Fr. Sal Putzu, SDB and Fr. Bernard Nolasco, SDB, as co-hosts, together with lay volunteers of WMM. The target audience is the Filipino family. The objective is to help people prepare for the Sunday Mass.
Expanding God’s Reach throughout the World
Because of the usefulness of WLP’s products in teaching the faith and in inspiring people, some of its products have already been translated and/or published in other countries like India (The Promise, The Acts of the Apostles), China (Way of the Cross), and the US (Litany of the Sacred Heart).
WLP is also spreading God’s Word online. It has Facebook pages (Word & Life Publications / Wordandlife Ph), a youtube channel (WordandLife Barkada) and a website (www.wordandlife.org). The Word & Life website is very popular and essential to Filipinos – as well as missionaries – all over the world because from there they can download the Sunday missalettes for FREE. For many Filipinos overseas (and even non-Filipinos), especially in non-Christian countries, this website is their only lifeline to nurture their faith.
WLP AWARDS & CITATIONS
Winning for God’s Greater Glory
Some of the awards that WLP has received are:
- Some of the awards that WLP has received are:
- Publisher of the Year (1995) from the Catholic Authors Awards(Asian Catholic Publishers, Inc.) – for Word & Life Publications (for publishing the Catechism of the Catholic Church)
- Best Youth Magazine(2004, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017) from the Catholic Mass Media Awards(CMMA) – for Word & Life magazine
- Special Citation for Youth Magazine(2007) from the CMMA – for Word & Life magazine
- Serviam Award – Individual(2008) from theCMMA – for Salvatore Putzu, SDB
- Special Citation for Special Feature (2009) from the CMMA– for “The Size of a Mother’s Heart”(Glady V. Ramos) published in Word & Life magazine
- Best Entertainment Column Special Citation(2008) from the CMMA– for “Between the Lines” (Fr. Bernard Nolasco, SDB) published in Word & Life magazine
- Best Entertainment Column(2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014) from the CMMA– for “Between the Lines” (Fr. Bernard Nolasco, SDB) published in Word & Life magazine
- Hall of Fame for Best Entertainment Column(2015) from the CMMA– for “Between the Lines” (Fr. Bernard Nolasco, SDB) published in Word & Life magazine
- Special Citationfor Children’s Book (2013) from the Cardinal Sin Book Awards– for Johnny’s Big Secret (Br. Mandy Co Dujunco, FSC)
- Best Comics Story (2013) from the CMMA– for Pedro Calungsod:Young Catechist & Martyr (Fr. Sal Putzu, SDB / Alden Sarmiento / Jeru Almyr Sarmiento)
- Special Citation for Short Story (2015) from the CMMA– for “The Right Girl”(Fr. Remo Bati, SDB), published in Word & Life magazine
- Special Citation for Short Story (2016) from the CMMA– for “How I Found God inside Quezon City Jail” (Raymund E. Narag), published in Word & Life magazine
- Best Entertainment Column (2016, 2017, 2018) from the CMMA– for “Word & Life Barkada” (Glady V. Ramos), published in Word & Life magazine
- Best Comics Story (2017) from the CMMA– for Rowena’s Choice (Fr. Remo Bati, SDB / Glady V. Ramos / Dann San Miguel)
- Best Comics Story (2018) from the CMMA– for The Breathtaking Story of Fatima in Comic Strips (Fr. Sal Putzu, SDB / Alden C. Sarmiento / Dondy S. Daguio)
- Hall of Fame for Best Youth Magazine (2018) from the CMMA– for Word & Life magazine
WORD & LIFE PUBLICATIONS
Don Bosco Compound
A. Arnaiz Ave. cor. Chino Roces Ave
P.O. Box 1820, MCPO 1258 Makati, Philippines
Tel. Nos. (632) 894-5401 * 894-5402
Telefax: (632) 894-5241 * Cell # (63)917-629-5485
Youtube: WordandLife Barkada
Facebook: Word & Life Publications